Wednesday 6 January 2016

"The Goddess Inheritance" (Goddess Test #3) by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This review contains spoilers for the other books in the series.

This series, as a whole, was okay. There was nothing really wrong with it, it just was not especially unique or original. Having said that, this series certainly went in an unexpected direction - it's hard to believe that The Goddess Test and The Goddess Inheritance were part of the same series at all. This book, in particular, was definitely not what I expected.

In Goddess Interrupted, I felt strongly that Kate should be more actively involved in the plot. She is generally around when the action is happening, but does not contribute to it herself. Kate definitely gets more involved in the action this time around, which I really enjoyed, since she's the main character and all. Having said this, there was a lot going on in this novel - there was almost too much action at times. The final battle particularly fell flat to me, and was over far too quickly. Kate also seems to be the reason for all the action, which felt a tad unbelievable to me.

One aspect of this novel that I really did not get was the purpose of baby Milo. Obviously it was sweet to see Kate and Henry coo over him, but when we hear that Calliope used her powers to guarantee that Kate would fall pregnant, I had one big question - why? Calliope really only used the baby to motivate Kate and Henry to attack her, which makes no sense. The baby has no "special" powers (beyond the usual ones) and Calliope herself is capable of having children so it can't just be because she longs for a family. I get that she wants Henry to stay with her, but the baby is not essential to that. The forced conception of Milo just seemed like such an irrelevant plot point, I could not get past it.

I liked that this novel had less romantic aspects. I thought this whole series would mainly be about Henry and Kate's relationship, which it was not at all, and I am grateful for that. Greek mythology is so much more than just one relationship! I still think Carter could have utilised her myriad of gods and goddesses much better. For example, Ella was a big part of The Goddess Test, so seeing her presence dwindle over the series was disappointing. Also, Walter was such an unbelievable twat that I wonder why so many women were willing to have children with him. Seriously, Diana. I expected better of you.

The ending pulled this book down from a 3.5 to a 3 star rating for me. It was non-committal, expected, and happy, the worst combination for a series ending. Carter had so many possibilities to work with, and she chose the most boring one, which just felt anti-climactic and disappointing. Especially since we go from almost too much action to none.

Overall, this was a solid ending to a solid series. I enjoyed the overall premise, but it just fell flat for me. If you've already read the first two books, however, this one is very short, so you may as well finish the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment