Monday 4 January 2016

"Goddess Interrupted" (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 stars.

This book was better than its predecessor, and I genuinely enjoyed reading it. The characters had more depth, the story line was more exciting, and the romance was definitely more intriguing. I still had some problems with it, though, and that held me back from giving a 4+ star rating.

My biggest issue with this series is Kate. She reminds me a lot of Meghan from The Iron King, in that she does not really do anything. Kate always seems to be where the action is, in the thick of fights between gods and titans. But she does not fight, or even train to fight, and she's basically asked to stay home whenever anything exciting happens. I get that she's new to the whole goddess thing, but the others could at least give her some lessons on how to control her powers. Alas, no, Kate just does a lot of waiting and thinking about why Henry does not love her.

Kate and Henry's romance is, surprisingly, one aspect of this novel that I enjoyed - but not in the same way I normally get into romances (you know, like your heart might break if they aren't together). I felt it was realistic that Henry would have priorities other than Kate, and also that he would find it hard to adjust to marriage when he's been alone for literally 1000 years. If they had been all lovey-dovey like in a romance novel, it would have felt very unrealistic, and so I am happy they had their problems in this book. I am also a sucker for angsty romances, and Henry and Kate definitely count as angsty.

Speaking of angst, I really enjoyed the introduction of Persephone. I thought she was a very relatable and honest character. I expected it to be an eternal cat fight between her and Kate, and so I was pleasantly surprised. It was also great to see Persephone and Henry interact, since all we know about their relationship beforehand is from Henry's perspective. I enjoyed the other secondary characters as well, especially Ava, Ingrid, and Calliope. Given the ending, I am intrigued to find out what Calliope is trying to achieve.

Overall, this was an interesting novel with a realistic budding romance, great ancillary characters, but a weak protagonist. It's definitely better than the first novel, so if you have already read The Goddess Test, I'd recommend this book to you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment